Saturday 21 June 2014

Tie Dye Tutorial.

I had a DT page for Scrap Our Stash to complete this month that involved the challenge of tie-dye as we are teaming up with Child's Play!
When my blogging Friend Wendy shared her tie-dye page with me I talked her into making a tutorial too as our techniques are quite different!
You can check out Wendy's tutorial on her blog W2, HERE.
When I read the challenge assignment I wracked my brain (took all of about 23 seconds) and come up empty of ideas for tie dying on a page so I searched the endless book of knowledge that is the internet and found a children's paper mache project that used a faux tie dye technique and thought I could adapt it for scrapping!
So I gathered my essentials-
White background 12x12 thick paper.
Misting bottle.
Paint brush.
Crepe paper in stronger colours than I wanted as the end result will be less bright.
First - on a protected surface I wet my white paper using the mister. (so far so easy!!!).
I then ripped my crepe paper into strips about 1 1/2 inches wide (but it can be any width). Not as easy as it sounds because the crepe paper stretches but I think that helps with the final effect!
Then I placed the first strip at the top and misted it thoroughly. 
The crepe paper needed a little help from a paint brush to get it to lie flatter on the background paper.
Here is a close-up .
Then it was just a case of using the other coloured crepe paper strips in the same way leaving a small gap between each strip. This did not need to be neat, as in the case of tie dying there is always a ragged edge between where the string was tied and where the die managed to take hold.
I took off the crepe papers after just five minutes and I was delighted with my tie-dyed paper.
At first the colour was very bright but once it dried it was much lighter.
I will be sharing the layout I made using this tie-dyed paper on 25th June so please come back and see the finished page.
Hope you enjoyed my little tutorial.
What new technique have you found lately?
Hug's.
Kerry. xx

5 comments:

  1. This is fabulous Kerry! Your tutorial is perfect and thank you for convincing me to follow suite. I really love what you came up with! Anytime you want to share our techniques, I am game! I can't wait to see your final layout! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this turned out amazing! So awesome Kerry! tfs

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool result! I saw a teacher where I work using tissue papers to make colorful wrapping paper the same way. Adapting it to a scrapbook page is very clever, I can't wait to see the finished layout now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome effect...I am going to be trying that...it looks like water colours.

    ReplyDelete